Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Swallowtail... a Gorgeous Project (with a tutorial for how to create it)

I've had this wonderful white frame sitting around for quite a while now, just begging to be used for a creative project.  If you follow my blog, you know how much I love to create framed projects.  I only had 1 white frame, so I wanted to save it for a really special project and was just waiting for the inspiration to hit me.  Well, this week, it hit me... I should use it to create a Swallowtail project.  Our Swallowtail stamp is one of the most gorgeous stamps we've ever had and I love it.  Here's my project:



Here's how I did it:

THE FRAME
First, I prepared the frame.  I opened it up and turned the mat over so the plain side showed.  (The other side had stripes.)  I closed the frame back up with the glass BEHIND the mat, so I could attach the butterflies directly to the center of my project.  To create a background for my Swallowtail, I added a piece of vellum over some Island Indigo DSP (to lighten and soften the look).

THE MAT
I stamped various images from our Gorgeous Grunge stamp set onto the mat, using Island Indigo ink (stamped off, to create a lighter image) and then I stamped a few more images using our Encore Ultimate Metallic silver ink.  Then I lightly spritzed random parts of the mat with my mixture of alcohol and Vanilla Shimmer Smooch Spritz.

THE SWALLOWTAIL
I stamped the Swallowtail 2 times, with VersaMark ink and heat embossed with White Embossing Powder, using Very Vanilla CS.  After letting it cool, I sponged on 3 colors:
- Island Indigo
- Pear Pizzazz
- Crushed Curry
I cut out both butterflies, attached the first one directly onto the middle of my project.  I added Liquid Tombow to just the middle section (body) of the second butterfly and held it onto the second one until the adhesive set a bit.  When it was completely dry, I folded the wings up so it was quite dimensional.

THE TINY BUTTERFLIES
I stamped 3 sizes of the butterflies from our Papillon Potpourri stamp set, each in one of the colors used to sponge the Swallowtail.  I stamped them onto Vellum CS.  Because inks take longer to dry on Vellum CS, I had time to emboss them, using Clear EP.  I made 6 of each size butterfly and attached them, 2 together, using a rolled up glue dot between them and then folded up the wings of each.  I ended up, then, with 3 (doubled) of each size of butterfly.  I attached them to the mat with glue dots.  Because the butterflies were embossed, the glue dots do not show through the Vellum.

A FINAL TOUCH
For a final touch, I spritzed the entire finished project lightly with my Vanilla Shimmer Smooch Spritz / alcohol mixture.  The project is on display in my studio.  I love it!  I may move it upstairs later, when I get out my Spring decorations.  We'll have to see.

NOTE --- HOW I MADE MY SPRITZ MIXTURE:
For the mixture that I used to spritz my project, I poured a couple of vials of our Vanilla Shimmer Smooch Spritz, along with some rubbing alcohol, into a travel size spray bottle.  This gives me more to use, helps it to dry more quickly and makes it easier to get the amount that I want.  Putting it all into a larger bottle means more to have ready to use in a class or for my future projects.  I do not have a set formula for how much of each liquid to add.  I just keep adding and testing it until I get it the way I like.

I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial and will try a project of your own.  And, before I go, Happy St. Patrick's Day.  May your day be lucky and blessed.

- Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. 
- Click on the tab at the top of the page to see my class schedules and registration policies or click on the left for sneak peeks. 
- Come back soon and come back often for more creative inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...