Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Happy Watercolor Flower

My card today was inspired by some I've seen online with this type of design, but I went about it a lot differently.  I made mine using our Circle Collection of framelits dies.  I opened my card up completely, cut the circle, then scored and folded back the cover of the card.  Because I decided to add the ribbon trim to my card, I folded the front back so that you still see part of the card base to the left of the ribbon trim.  This gives a completely different look to your card.

The stamped design is actually on the inside of the card and shows through the opening to the front.  Because so much of the inside shows, I used 2 layers inside the card and then coordinating trim on the edge of the front.  I added an embossed strip of CS to the front, to pull all the colors together.  My color story is directly from the Sweet Sorbet DSP, playing with Crisp Cantaloupe and Sahara Sand.  This was a really fun card to create.
Design Tips:
I knew I wanted some kind of 'trim' extending over the left edge of my card and chose the Stretch Trim ribbon because it was out and in use with all my projects using our Sweet Sorbet DSP.  Your supplies can often guide the direction you go in your creative process.  You could easily change the entire color story and try using the edge of a punched piece of CS using one of our border punches or our Tasteful Trim die instead of a ribbon trim.

The flower was stamped onto the inside of the card.  Only the stem will end up showing, so stamp in the color of ink you'd like for your stem.  I actually used Sahara Sand, because I was making the entire card in soft, subtle colors.
The top of the flower was then stamped with black StazOn ink onto watercolor paper --- two times.  The first flower top was cut out completely and adhered flat onto the inside of the card over the previously stamped image.
Only part of the second flower top was cut out (See photo.) and adhered with dimensionals.  This gives an incredible dimension to the flower.

The linen thread was tied into a bow, a glue dot was rolled up and stuck to the back of the bow to adhere it to the card.
The envelope is lined with Sweet Sorbet DSP.  The card base is Sahara Sand.

You can't see it, but I stamped a message on the inside of the card, on the bottom left.  It says:  "You make me happy."
I think anyone would enjoy getting a card like this.

... and one final note:
The size and shape you choose to cut for your 'opening' will be based on the size and shape of your stamped image.  Place different sizes and shapes of framelits over the image you are thinking of using and see how it all works together.
- Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. 
- Click on the tab at the top of the page to see my class schedules and registration policies or click on the left for sneak peeks. 
- Come back soon and come back often for more creative inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...