Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Burlap, Fabric Flowers and a Mini Tutorial

Today's version of wreath is the one we'll be making on April 24.  I think it is one of my favorites, for sure!  I seem to be going a little wreath crazy, but they are fun to make.

This one starts with a styrofoam base and is wrapped with burlap.
I started out with just 3 flowers, but then ending up adding a couple more.  It looks good both ways, actually.  
I made 2, so that I have more options for where to hang them.  
Here's a close-up of the fabric flowers:
Aren't these cute?  So, here's a little mini tutorial for making the fabric flowers.  I thought I'd share that with you, since I've been showing you a lot of projects with fabric flowers.

Start with the cutting:
  • Open a package of our wonderful fabric.
  • Choose 1 of the 3 patterns in the package.
  • Open it 1/2 way up and cut in half.
  • You'll have 2 pieces, each 4 layers thick that are pretty much the same size as the Bigz Fun Flowers die for the Big Shot.  (See photo below.)
  • Run 4 layers at a time through the Big Shot, using a CS shim to help make a cleaner cut.
  • Remove top plate and snip any threads still attached.  I only have to do this for the smallest flower.
  • You'll now have 4 flower pieces of each size.
  • Now run the other piece of fabric (4 layers) through and get 4 more pieces of each size.
Here's a look at mine (4 layers) after cutting.  You'll notice that I didn't even iron the fabric because I was in a hurry to take these shots, but it straightens out perfectly when you spritz it.  It would be easier to work with if you ironed first, which I usually do.
Now you're ready to start assembling your flowers:
  • Take 2 of each size of the flower pieces and stack them, alternating directions so you can see all the petal points.
  • Punch a small hole in the center of the stacked pieces, using the Crop-A-Dile.
  • Insert a large brad or skip punching a hole and sew on a button.
  • Spritz your flowers with 'Stiffen Quick' and set aside to dry.  I spritz the top and the bottom of the flower, so it's pretty wet at first.
  • I like to push mine down into the sections of a mini muffin pan.  It holds them into a rounded shape until they dry.
  • Set them aside until they are completely dry.  You can hurry the process along with a heat tool.  Usually, I try to spritz my flowers at the end of my work day in my studio and just let them sit all night.
  • Pick up your flowers and fluff them.
  • Attach to your project using a hot glue gun.
  • Enjoy!
Here's a look at how I leave mine to dry.
Tip:  The 'Stiffen Quick' is quite sticky and tends to clog the nozzle, so remove and rinse it whenever this happens and it will usually start spritzing again.  I clean it thoroughly after each use.

So, there you have it.  It is really a quick and easy project.  It always takes longer to explain it than to do it, so don't be afraid to give it a try.  You can get the 'Stiffen Quick' at your local fabric store.
Right now, I have these 2 wreaths hanging inside, but I often use fabric flowers on our covered front porch.  They seem to hold up pretty well.  I have a couple of wreaths that made it through an entire season and still look brand new, so I think it's fine.

- Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. 
- Click on the tab at the top of the page to see my class schedules and registration policies or click on the left for sneak peeks. 
- Come back soon and come back often for more creative inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...