Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Cut Above: A Cutting Tutorial

I get a lot of questions about how to go about cutting into CS or DSP and not waste any of it.  I'm going to share a little tutorial with you to help you get the most out of your supplies.  Because of my Friday 3-4-5 Card Buffet Classes, our little note card sets are becoming very popular with my customers, so I'll start with those.

Here's a card for my next Friday 3-4-5, using 2 layers on the top.
The note card itself is white and comes cut and pre-scored, with its own envelope.  I like to stamp something on the front corner and the back flap of the envelope, to coordinate with the card.

My card is made with 2 layers over it --- a black layer and then a white layer on top, where you stamp your images.
I started with sheets of 8 1/2 X 11" CS.
Change your colors however you'd like to have them.
Here's how my CS looks after cutting pieces for both layers.

As you can see, there will be no wasted pieces.  The smaller pieces I have left over, after cutting the layers for the top of the card, will go into my scrap drawer and be saved for a time when I need a smaller piece for a project.

STOP HERE!!!  
IF YOU PLAN TO TRY THIS, I'D SUGGEST YOU PLACE YOUR CUTTER AND LAPTOP SIDE BY SIDE AND DO IT STEP BY STEP WITH ME OR PRINT OUT MY POST AND THEN TRY IT.

Let's take a minute to think about measuring.
  • The note card front measures 5 X 3 1/2" so, to add layers, you subtract 1/4" for each layer.
  • Thus, the black layer for the card measures 4 3/4 X 3 1/4."
  • This makes the top white layer measurement come to 4 1/2 X 3."

Now, let's get started with the larger pieces (my black CS):
  • With the 8 1/2" end at the top, cut at 8" and 3 1/4"  (1st arrow and 2nd arrow in photo below).
  • Turn, placing the 11" side at the top. 
  • Cut at 9 1/2" and 4 3/4" (creates the 2 layers + 1 scrap shown on the left in the photo below).
  • Cut the remaining piece at 9 3/4" and 6 1/2" and 3 1/4" (creates 3 card layers + scrap shown between the two arrows in the photo below).
Total:
You now have 5 black layers for your card front + 2 scraps for your scrap drawer.


Let's go to the smaller layer (my white layer):
  • With the 8 1/2" end at the top, cut at 7 1/2" and 3" (1st arrow and 2nd arrow in photo below).
  • Turn, placing the 11" side at the top.
  • Cut at 9" and 4 1/2" (creates the 2 layers + 1 scrap shown on the left in the photo below).
  • Cut remaining piece at 9" and 6" and 3" (creates 3 card layers + scrap shown between the two arrows in the photo below).

Total:You now have 5 white pieces to stamp on and layer over your black pieces + 3 scraps for your scrap drawer.

Where do you go from here?
Well, you can now make 5 note cards!
But wait, they come 20 in a package... so... I suggest that you repeat the process using 3 different colors in place of the black CS, keeping white for the top layer.
Now you have 20 note cards, 5 each of 4 colors.  Wow, did you ever bump up your stash!!!

Suggestion ---
Try substituting one of the CS layers with DSP.  Now, you've changed the entire feel of your card.  Your creative direction will be guided by the colors and patterns in your DSP.

What other color combos should I try next?  What would you like to see?

So, that's my tutorial for cutting pieces for note cards.  This tutorial took a long time to make (partly because I kept making so many silly mistakes doing it) and I would really love some feedback from you.  Please tell me what you think, tell me if you tried it and tell me how it worked for you.

Come back soon for more tips on cutting and getting the most from your CS and from your DSP.

I'm going to rest now, after all this cutting and typing ... and then ... I'll get back to more stamping!   It's a good life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...