Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

A Blue Basket with Bunny

As I promised yesterday, here is the round blue basket that I decorated.  I think it maybe turned out to be my favorite, even though I love the pink one a lot.  As I did with the pink basket, I placed a decorative egg photo holder into the basket to hold the card.

This bunny is sporting a little ribbon bow tie.  The roses are hot glued onto the ear.  (It only hurt him for a little while.)  Instead of using tulle (I only had pink.) I used a material of some sort (can't remember what it's called) from the floral department for the basket filler.  I think it looks nice with this color story.  I hot glued roses all across the handle and tied a ribbon bow onto each side of the basket handle.
I will share with you how a lucky accident helped me to figure out the best way to attach the skirt to the basket.  After I fitted the skirt over the basket, it slipped off.  When I went to pull it up, it turned wrong side out and slipped up to the handle.  That is when I realized that this would be the best and easiest way to attach the skirt.  You see, up to this point, I hadn't really known for sure how I was going to do it:)  I just knew that I wanted to hide the rows of stitching.  So here are the directions, step by step.
To make the skirt for the basket:
  • Measure out and cut 2 long strips of fabric, depending on the size of your basket.
  • Make a seam to attach the 2 fabric pieces into 1 long piece.
  • Make a second seam, so that you now have a fabric tube.
  • Sew 2 rows of long stitches, for gathering, along 1 edge.
  • Gather up the fabric until it looks close to the size you'll need for your basket.  This is trial and error, but pretty easy. 
  • Slip the fabric tube over the basket, with the wrong side out and the gathered edge closest to the top of the basket.  This means the edge that will become the bottom edge of the skirt is now up at the top.  The fabric tube is now on the basket upside down and wrong side out.
  • Run a bead of hot glue along the top edge of the basket, doing a small area at a time.
  • Be careful because this is hot glue.  I did get burned a bit.  It's all in the price of being an artist.
  • Gently press the gathered edge into the bead of glue.
  • Continue, a little space at a time, until all the fabric tube is attached to the basket.  You will need to adjust your gathers before you start and continue adjusting them as you go along.
  • Once the hot glue has cooled, allow the fabric tube to gently fall down over the basket and... you have your skirt.  It's just that easy.
As with all projects like this if you think it through before you begin, it's pretty easy and a ton of fun.  Don't forget:  Our fabric is on sale at half price right now.  I got this More Amore fabric on sale!  Stock up while supplies last.

Come back tomorrow and see my Easter pails.  I have a cute little trio of pails that I decorated for Easter.  They are all ready to add treats.

- Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. 
- Click on the tab at the top of the page to see my class schedules and registration policies or click on the left for sneak peeks. 
- Come back soon and come back often for more creative inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...