Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Gorgeous Color Combo / Vintage Cards

Would you like to try a gorgeous color combo?  Try Marina Mist, Crumb Cake, Soft Suede and a touch of Very Vanilla.  It's a winning combo!
Today's sketch was inspired by another sketch challenge.  I want to show you why I get my creative juices flowing by starting with a good design.

In today's post, I will show you 2 cards -- both inspired by the same sketch design.  The first card is has a feminine, vintage look.  The second card is all guy.  I decided to stay with the same exact color scheme, so you can readily see just how easy it is to follow a good sketch design and go most any direction that you'd like to try.
The first card uses the Elements of Style stamp set, along with snips of ribbon, seam binding and crochet lace trim.  I added lots of texture by using textured CS on the Soft Suede layer, using one of the framelits dies (1/2 on each side of the focal piece), and embossing the Crumb Cake layer with the Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder.  An embossed image from the Notably Ornate stamp set adds even more texture to the Soft Suede background.  The text is punched out with the Modern Label punch.  The circle punches are 1" and 1 1/4" circles -- for the little accent piece.  I actually used Stampin' Write Markers to color all the stamps, except for the embossed image in the background.  I love the look of this technique in stamping.

The second card is all guy --- a cowboy!  I started with all the same colors / same layers, including the embossed image from the Notably Ornate stamp set.  I used only 1/2 the piece cut from the framelits die this time and added embossed horseshoes to go with the cowboy theme.  The cowboy and horseshoes are from the Out West stamp set.
I tied a few knots along the hemp, to give the look of barbed wire.  One horseshoe is 'hanging' on the 'barbed wire' and the other 2 are hooked together.  I don't know if my arrangement is lucky or unlucky.  I'll hope for the best:)
Both cards have lots of layers, lots of texture and lots of dimensionals. 
I've never really had any trouble coming up with my own designs, but I just love the challenge of trying to follow a given sketch.  I think it's always good to push yourself to try new challenges, new color combinations, new styles, new everything --- just to keep yourself motivated and constantly growing as an artist ... and to keep your designs fresh and alive.

I hope this post inspires you to really jump in and try creating cards using design sketches for a good place to start.  Plan out your colors and choose your stamp sets.  You can plan out embellishments to compliment your design as you work through your project.

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow! You are right! These colors are beautiful together! Both cards are awesome! I love the details on both! Great job!! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really IS a gorgeous color combination! I love that you made two very different cards with the sketch, it really shows the versatility of a sketch. Love your background stamping on both...thank you for playing at CCMC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I enjoyed challenging myself to try two totally different themes for the cards.

      Delete
  3. You are right...it is a FANTASTIC color combo! I love both of your cards although I was drawn to the hummingbird one! Thanks for playing along this week in the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOw...love the colors! Will have to remember that! Great cards...but the masculine one really caught my eye with the hanging horseshoe...clever! Thanks for playing along with the sketch challenge this week on Create with Connie and Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hadn't used the cowboy set for a while and really do like it.

      Delete
  5. Both cards are GREAT and the colors are so nice! Will have to try the combo myself! I love what you did with both cards! Thanks for playing the Create with Connie & Mary Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really liked this sketch design a lot! I love the challenges of it all!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...